Thursday, August 26, 2010

Inexpensive Interesting Wall Decor

Good morning!
I hope everyone is having a great week. One design item I get asked about a lot is how to decorate an empty wall inexpensively. Because let's be honest....even if you spend a ton on furniture, rugs, and curtains your home won't feel complete without something on the walls..... and that can get expensive.

Here are a few images I found to illustrate my point that wall decor doesn't have to be expensive.

One thing I have talked about before is hanging plates to create a collage. Head to your local thrift store and pick up a collection of white or colored plates for often less than $1 each.
Another option is empty frames. I love this idea because you can find mismatched and chipped frames at your local thrift store for a little bit of nothing. Take them home and spray paint them a universal color (see even white on white looks wonderful) and hang them up!
Another empty frame idea. I love the oval, square, and rectangular frames all together.
A collage of different framed photos, art and mirrors creates a visually interesting space and often you can find extra frames you have lying around and pull something together.
A functional idea is to find door knobs (or create your own with a block of wood and a door knob) and use them as a place to hang coats, laundry, or purses.
I love a framed cork board! Find a wonderful frame at a local thrift store? Paint it and a piece of cork board and staple them together and you are good to go! Functional and pretty!
Another decor option you may have never thought of (I know I hadn't considered it before) is to buy a variety of ceiling medallions and hang them up for a different way to fill a wall. Love it!
Finally, this is something I will probably to in my own office one day if I don't do the cork board idea. Hang a variety of pretty clipboards on the wall. This will allow you to hang different papers or documents and to keep things organized and off your desk.
Have a great day!

Emily

2 comments

  1. Emily I love your love for grey! I wanna paint my walls grey but my floor is glossy tiled in beige. Do u think the grey still stands a suitable option for me?

    ReplyDelete

previous next