Tuesday, April 19, 2011

DIY Fabric Poms

Good morning!
I want to share a project I have been working on for the nursery that is really easy! I came across these fabric poms months ago and I fell in love and knew it was something I wanted to recreate. In my opinion they look so much better than the tissue poms, which can look worn over time.


In the tutorial in the link above they used very small Chinese lanterns, which I couldn't find so I improvised. I bought 4" styrofoam balls at a craft store and screwed a hook into them so I could easily hang them.


I then traced a glass (2.5"-3") and made circles.....this was the most tedious. I highly recommend watching Real Housewives or something mindless while working on this step.

Once I had my circles cut I put a small dot of hot glue in the center of the circle and pinched it together to create a rosette of sorts (see below).


The final step is to start gluing those rosettes on your styrofoam ball. There isn't any rhyme or reason to how I did it. I just did it and if I needed to go back and add more to fill in a gap, I did.


Here is the final product hanging in a corner of the nursery!



At some point I am going to go back and make a few larger poms as the corner feels a bit bare with just the 3 small ones.

Supplies:
1. fabric (I used a 1/2 yard for each pom)
2. styrofoam balls or chinese lanterns
3. hooks to hang
4. hot glue gun

This project cost me $12 and I still have 1 small styrofoam ball left over and plenty of white ribbon to spare.

Enjoy!

Emily

18 comments

  1. These are so pretty! I love that they're more durable than tissue paper with so many more decorative options! Great job, Emily! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! I can't wait to see your finished nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love these, i just made the tissue ones which i love too. but you are right they age quickly! beautiful blog i am happy i found you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What type of fabric did you use on these? They turned out so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just used a cotton fabric. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily! LOVE LOVE your blog! I have a question. What kind of hook did you use to hang this on the ceiling? Thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priya-I used the exact same hook that I used in the styrofoam ball. I screwed it into the ceiling and it is covered by the bows I tied. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! What type of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. where did you find the hooks? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just a basic hook. I probably got them at home depot or target. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Lovely idea, thank you! Quick question, about how many circles did it take per pompom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could tell you. It was so long ago I don't know but I would say I bought 1/2 yard of fabric and had plenty. Good luck! :)

      Delete

previous next