I hope everyone had a great weekend. Today I want to feature a project that has been in the works (at least in my head ) for months. I was out thrift shopping with a friend/client wanting to find a few unique pieces for her living room and bedroom a few months ago. We stumbled across this beauty and talked the guy down to $40 for just the headboard!
You can kind of tell that the fabric was pretty dirty. We weren't sure what we were going to do with it but I knew that for the price even if we could only use the frame it was a steal. After several times of trying to steam clean it we gave up and knew we would have to cover it, which wasn't a huge surprise.
My friend was thinking she wanted a cleaner looking headboard without the tufting, which made my life a lot easier. The wood on the back of the fabric part of the headboard was very old and splitting so we had to be very careful.
This is a project that I completed over a weekend. First I took apart the frame and the fabric part of the headboard and I painted the frame white (I don't have any pics of this but you can use your imagination).
This is what I was left to work withTaking the advice of a great friend I stuffed the tufted holes to ensure the fabric stretched perfectly over the existing fabric.
Next I cut a thin piece of batting the same shape as the headboard and then followed with the fabric. From there I carefully stapled the fabric and batting onto the wood lip of the headboard being careful to leave a bit of lip to screw into the frame.
This was my result
With Jacob's help we screwed the frame back to the fabric piece of the headboard
The total breakdown of this project was:
Paint Already Had
Total for a statement making headboard $70!
Have a great day!